There are different ways to get involved with the Freedom Seed Bank:
- Come to one of our events
- Become a Freedom Seed Saver
- Donate seeds to the bank
Come to one of our events
We give talks and presentations throughout the year to raise awareness of the threats that exist to seed freedom and to distribute free seeds from the Freedom Seed Bank. Follow our blog to make sure you don’t miss out on our event news or Like us on Facebook.
Become a Freedom Seed Saver
The Freedom Seed Savers are a network of London gardeners and growers, growing seed organically in their gardens, farms and allotments and donating a proportion of that seed to the London Freedom Seed Bank in order to protect and sustain the diversity of seed that is useful to London growers.
Throughout the year, we hold seed saving workshops at locations across London to teach the key principles of successful seed saving and share practical hands-on advice. If you are interested in attending one of our workshops, please follow our Facebook page or email Charlotte email@example.com to be added to our mailing list.
The role of London Freedom Seed Savers
The role of London Freedom Seed Savers is to produce organic, healthy seeds that are true to type, to be stored and redistributed free of charge to other London growers.
In order to achieve this seed savers need to commit to the following requirements. If this is all new to you – fantastic! Help and advice is available to help you develop skills in seed saving.
- To commit to grow and save the seed from one (or more) named varieties of open-pollinated plant
- To donate a proportion of the saved seed to the London Seed Bank
- To commit to grow the seed plant without the use of chemicals and to adhere to organic principles where possible
- To take the necessary steps to avoid cross-pollination of plants grown for seed to ensure varietal purity
- To ensure that saved seeds come only from healthy plants which demonstrate characteristics useful to London growers
- To document the journey of your seed plants from “seed to seed” and make this information available to the London Freedom Seed Bank
- To commit to use the knowledge gained from growing and saving your seed to help others London Freedom Seed Bank growers the following year
Donate seeds to the bank
If you are already an active seed saver and have surplus seeds which you would like to donate to the bank, we would love to hear from you!
We are looking for seeds from useful crops (vegetables, herbs and companion plants) that have been saved in London for at least one generation.
The seeds should have been selected only from healthy plants and the necessary steps to avoid cross-pollination must have been observed.
In particular, we are looking for seeds from varieties that are not generally commercially available, but we are happy to accept all open-pollinated varieties.
If you have seeds to donate, then please get in touch firstname.lastname@example.org